News and Events
- Click Here to view recipes from the recent "Soupalicious" Event. Congratulations to all of Liaison College's Award Winners!
- Jan Cooper-Webb (the Personal Chef instructor at
Liaison College Kitchener) has just won an award for her business: Orchard House Gourmet.
- Liaison College students prepped for the renowned Chef, Wolfgang Puck, who approached us looking for students for his Shopping Channel show March 9-15. Our students have been asked back for the next 3 sessions. Read more about Wolfgang Puck's show.
- River Song - A Musical Drama, March 27th-29th at Norman E. Byrne Cathedral, Scottish Rite Club, Hamilton was a great success. We would like to thank everyone involved. All net proceeds went to support the John Howard Society of Hamilton/Burlington. Liaison College sponsored this event in celebration of the John Howard Societys anniversary. View photos and read more about River Song here.
- This month we are mentioned in Macleans Magazine. Making Bad Times Good discusses how Hamilton Campus is "taking in aspiring chefs laid off from the local steel industry, some of whom have secured as much as $28,000 in provincial government funding [through Second Career] to take the 15-month program." Murline Mallette, the schools owner is quoted extensively and notes, Were not recession-proof, but the jobs are still there.
- Liaison College will be represented at the upcoming Skills Ontario competition in May 2009. We will begin our trek to first place with our annual inter-campus cook-off on April 7 at the Kitchener Campus. Last year one our students won bronze in the final stages of competition at Skills Canada. This year we aim to repeat or better that achievement.
- Wiley invites Liaison College students to send in their dessert recipes for a new upcoming Diabetes Cookbook.
- March 20-22. Liaison College participated in the International Home Show.
The show was well attended, thanks in part to the fabulous weather. The stage was all ours Sunday March 23, and Chef Dean and his brigade put on four demonstrations: Slow Food Taste Local, Taste Fresh; Super Soups; Winter Comfort Foods; and Wrap it Up. Recipes will be posted soon to this site as we had many requests!! Click here to see our Home Show photos.
- Liaison College is invited to participate in the Annual Fiddlehead Culinary Contest. Students will prepare recipes using fresh fiddleheads -- an Ontario gourmet treat.
- The USA Pears competition is underway. It's open to culinary students only. The winner receives $2500 and their college receives a further $1000. The entry deadline is March 27 so encourage your students to enter quickly. Details are available at the USA Pears website or download the flier. The criteria for a winning recipe are simple:
identifiably pear-tasting, creative and unique, it works, tastes good, looks good and is inspiring.
- March 8-10 you could find us at the CRFA Show. This show was a great success with nearly 12,000 visitors. You can see CRFA photos on Flickr.
- Brampton Campus hosted WFIM giving students the chance to network with top women in the food industry and Chef John Placko from Campbells Soup who demonstration Molecular Gastronomy. Ever had a carbonated strawberry?
- Photos and the winning recipes for the Steamwhistle competition are now available for you to enjoy.
- It was a tough day of cooking but our six teams were able to pull out all the stops to show Steam Whistle Brewery what a Liaison College student can accomplish. The winners were announced February 19. Our congratulations to Chantha Hack for his recipe for Steamwhistle and Apple Cider Braised Pork Belly, with Toasted Barley Risotto, Caramelized Apple and Steamwhistle Reduction.
- The 6 finalists for the Feb 19 cook-off in our first annual Comfort Foods for the Everyday Gourmet with Steam Whistle Premium Beer are
- Tanya Christie Vaughan Campus Winter Comfort Beef and Pilsner Pie
- Chantha Hack Hamilton Campus Steam Whistle Braised Pork Belly
- James Kirkland Campus Unknown Drunken Spicy Steam Whistle Shrimp
- Michelle Krasovec Kitchener Campus Steam Whistle Chowder
- Ryan Phillips Brampton Campus - Steam Whistle Ice Cream
- Melissa Rowell Barrie Campus Beef Goulash Steam Whistle Style
11 Barrie Campus wins 1st place in all categories at the Barrie Chili Fest Competition. See the photos.
- Steam Whistle Brewery in Toronto has challenged all Liaison College students to enter their recipe contest: Winter Comfort Foods for the Everyday Gourmet Cooking with Beer!
- We are featured in Canadian Opportunities Magazine Dec. '08/Jan '09.
- A-Channel Morning show broadcast live from Liaison College Barrie Campus on January 6th. Our Chefs prepared healthy meals and budget conscious meals.
DECEMBER - 2008
- Steam Whistle Breweries announces its upcoming recipe contest
- December 3. We participated in the Skills Focus show (part of Skills Canada) at Bingeman Park
- Women in Food Management awarded a scholarship to Oakville Student, Lynn Wright congratulations!
- A Mercer Tool Scholarship was awarded to Liz Foote from Oakville congratulations!
NEWS ARCHIVES: 2008 2007 2006 2005 Earlier